Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Week 2 Comment to Sarah

Sarah Baker-Dykes says:




I have really enjoyed reading the first four chapters of The Art of Possibility.  Chapters 3 and 4 really struck a chord with me. The ideas of “giving yourself an A” and “being contribution” are so inspiring.  When I was finished reading, my brain was spinning with new ideas to bring to my own classroom.


Zander so clearly showed how one’s outlook on people and situations can change the outcomes and our emotions.  By beginning each situation or each relationship by giving an A, we automatically treat it with so much more respect.  Because of the invented game and what an A stands for in our minds, when we start off a relationship by giving the other person an A, we are opening up a world of possibilities.  Rather than focusing on the negatives and picking things apart, we can view others as a masterpiece.  Zander likened this to Michelangelo and how he described a block of stone that has a beautiful statue dwelling inside.  The excess material must be removed to reveal the beauty inside.  I found this to be such a wonderful illustration for how teachers approach students.  Zander quite perfectly stated that, “this A is not an expectation to live up to, but a possibility to live into.”

The most intriguing idea I’ve gained so far is that of being a contribution.  This idea of trying to make a difference each day is very inspiring.  In the book, Mr. Zander had his students tell a way they made a contribution each week in any avenue of life.  What a great idea! I think it’s the goal of most educators that we see our students grow into responsible and caring citizens.  By embracing this idea and showing students how they can make a difference just by one small thing they do, can have a huge impact on their lives.



This idea can be adapted by anyone at any age. I’m quite confident that my third grade students would take hold of this idea and run with it.  I can’t wait to introduce this to my class.  Likewise, applying this principle to my personal life can have a great effect. If I greeted every relationship and circumstance with the question, “What contribution can I make and how can I make a difference today?” my life may be very different.  Even now as I type this, I’m still inspired by these questions.  My hope is that I’ll be able to apply this idea to my students.  To look at them and think, “what can I do to make a difference in your life?”  It’s such a powerful thought.  The idea that this question could be embraced by my students is exciting.  I would love for them to look at their classmates and community and think, “what contribution can I make?”



My Response:
I was inspired all over again reading your post! I like that you are looking for ways to apply the ideas of the book not only in your classroom, but in the relationships in your life. I am sure you will be able to find a way to apply these ideas with your students and others and make a huge contribution to society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment